SMX – Speaking Pitch Form
Want to speak at SMX? This form allows you to pitch for sessions that have made it to our final agenda. We are not taking new session ideas at this point, and if you do not see a particular session listed below, it’s because there are no openings for that session.
IMPORTANT: Submissions must come directly from the person making the pitch, in their name, with their email address.
If you’re a PR person or firm, you can work with the potential speaker to help craft the submission. You can even fill out the form on their behalf, as long as they have reviewed the submission.
We have this policy because we’ve found that the best pitches come when speakers themselves make a submission. We’ve also found that the majority of bad pitches have come from PR people who blindly pitch ideas without reviewing our guidelines. In some cases, they’ve not even consulted with a potential speaker at all on the pitch.
How To Create The Perfect Pitch
To increase the odds of being selected, first read the agenda for the SMX Event you are interested in. Then, when crafting your pitch, keep these points in mind:
- Understand the session’s goal. Don’t propose “thought leadership” if a session is explicitly tactical.
- Provide key takeaways that the audience can use right away.
- Don’t waste time explaining why a topic is important. We know why – that’s the reason we put a session on the agenda.
- Be very specific about what you intend to cover. We don’t want a high-level overview – we want specific facts, advice, case studies – concrete statements about what you intend to speak about.
- Don’t talk about yourself, your company, product, service or past presentations in the pitch description – leave personal details for the bio section.
Want more tips? Take a look at The Best (Worst) Practices For NOT Being Invited To Speak At SMX.
Please do not contact our conference chairs directly with your pitch. We work as a team, and we all use this system as our central conference planning tool.
You’ll be notified whether you’ve been accepted or not 4-6 weeks prior to when the event. If you’re accepted to speak, you’ll receive a pass to the entire SMX event. Travel and accommodation are not provided.
Watch the SMX Blog to be alerted for when this form opens for pitches for any show.